Diabetes Canada estimates that, as of 2015, 3.4 million Canadians (9.3% of the population) have type 2 diabetes—a number they expect will increase by 2025, when a predicted 5 million Canadians (12.1% of the population) will suffer from the disease.
The pervasiveness of diabetes is amplified by its side effects, including: cardiovascular complications, end-stage renal disease, and lower limb amputation are all corollary to untreated, debilitating diabetes.
The already-widespread, but still growing prevalence of diabetes, and the variety of complications it incurs, demand a rigorous investigation into its social, cultural and environmental causes. Our team leads a number of research studies related to the health and economic burden of type 2 diabetes.
To learn more about our work in this area, please see the following resources:
- Hillmer M., Sandoval G.A., Elliott J.A., Jain M., Barker T., Prisniak A., Astley S., Rosella L.C. Diabetes risk reduction in primary care: Evaluation of the Ontario Primary Care Diabetes Prevention Program. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2017; 108(2): e176-e184. Available from: https://journal.cpha.ca/index.php/cjph/article/view/5287
- Zuk A., Quiñonez C., Lebenbaum M., Rosella L.C. The Association between Undiagnosed Glycemic Abnormalities and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors with Periodontitis: Results from 2007-2009 Canadian Health Measures Survey. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. In Press. 2017 Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcpe.12684/abstract.
- Campbell, T.K., Alberga, A., Rosella, L.C. The impact of access to health services on prediabetes awareness: A population-based study. Preventive Medicine. 2016; 93(7): 7-13. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27612580.
- Rosella L.C., Lebenbaum M., Fitzpatrick T., O’Riley D., Wang J., Booth G.L., Stukel T.A., Wodchis W. Impact of diabetes on healthcare costs in a population-based cohort: A cost analysis. Diabetic Medicine. 2016; 33(3): 395-403. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26201986.
- Zuk A., Fitzpatrick T., Rosella L.C. Effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on inflammatory markers and glycemic measures among overweight or obese adults: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. e0154215. Available from: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154215.
- Rosella L.C., Lebenbaum M., Fitzpatrick T., Zuk A., Booth G. The prevalence of prediabetes and undiagnosed diabetes in Canada (2007-2011): According to fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c screening criteria. Diabetes Care. 2015; 38(7): 1299-1305. Available at: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/7/1299.long.